Friday, July 18, 2008

Elise Winters: Artist and Innovator in Polymer Clay



You are not going to always see pots here. There is a lot of inspiration to be found in all kinds of work, even Fimo clay.

I'm not sure how I found this artist but I'm sure glad I did. It's really hard to believe that this is Fimo. I've never seen this kind or radiance from any polymer clay I've ever seen. Could you imagine glazes like this?

The forms beautiful, sometimes fantastic. The colors are mesmerizing. I would wear this (if I could afford i t)!

It happens that she started out as an earthenware potter, pnotographer and Sumi-e painter. She spent time in Japan and says that the Japanese reverence for nature and subtle design have become her influences.

As I said earlier, I was 'raised in the "Leach-Hamada-Cardew-Reduction-High-Fired-Stoneware-With-Little-Decoration-School" popular in the 70's when I was in schoole. Mostly that meant BROWN. Brown and gray were popular, it was also considered natural. In addition, whole food, natureal food were also popular at my school. These were the early days of this food movement so people weren't really being very creative, yet. Brown food, with bits of what seemed like wood in it. Raisins were added for interest.

Brown Pots, Brown Food. Sad times. People talked about natural colors too. More Brown, just different shades.

My ceramics teacher Billy-Eddie Strickland, pointed out that nature contains some of the most wild, vibrant colors you can find. Electric blue and hot pink are also found in nature.

Isn't color grand!

You can see more at her website: http://www.elisewinters.com/

Posted by Picasa

No comments: